FedEx Corporation is an American multinational courier delivery Services Company.
The name of the company’s original air division was Federal Express (now FedEx Express). This is what brought about the current company name, ‘FedEx’, a syllabic abbreviation of Federal Express, used from 1973 until 2000.
FedEx is well known for its overnight shipping service. The company began a tracking system wherein packages are tracked and customers are provided real-time updates on package location so as to help in finding lost packages. This system has been adopted by many other carrier services. FedEx delivers items to survivors of natural disasters. The operations of FedEx also provides expanded potential for growth and jobs as it helps businesses reach new markets.
In Nigeria, FedEx is in partnership with Red Star Express. Red Star Express is mainly involved in logistic services, cleaning forward services, ship brokering, courier’s services, cargo services, air and sea freight. Red Star Express has the sole license in Nigeria and does the pick-up and delivery of express documents and parcels, both domestic and internationally.
FedEx Express founded express distribution and remains the industry’s global leader. They do this by providing rapid, reliable, time-definite delivery to more than 220 countries and territories. They also boast of connecting markets that make up more than 90 per cent of the world’s gross domestic product within one to three business days.
Other achievements of FedEx include outstanding air route authorities and transportation infrastructure, fast and reliable services for more than 3.6 million shipments each business day, great information technologies. All of these has helped make FedEx Express the world’s largest express transportation company.
FedEx is divided into the following operating units. Below are some of them:
- FedEx Express (Orange “Ex”): This is the original overnight courier services for FedEx Corporation. FedEx Express provides next day air service and time-definite international services within the United States. FedEx Express controls one of the largest civil aircraft fleets in the world.
- Caribbean Transport Services: Up until 2008, the Carribean Transport Services was a part of FedEx Freight. It provided airfreight forwarding services between the US mainland, Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic, and other Caribbean islands.
- TNT Express: TNT Express is now a subsidiary of FedEx corporations. Currently an international courier delivery services company. The firm has solely owned operations in 61 countries. It also delivers documents, parcels and pieces of freight to over two hundred countries.
- FedEx Ground (Orange “Ex”, formerly Green): This operation of FedEx Corporation guarantees day delivery within Canada and the United States. It also provides this at a lower cost compared to time-definite FedEx Express. FedEx Ground uses a large fleet of trucks which are owned by independent owner/operators. These drivers are independent contractors who control individual delivery routes and territories. FedEx Ground was formerly called Roadway Package System (RPS)
- FedEx Home Delivery: This operations of FedEx corporation specializes in residential delivery Tuesday through Saturday. It also offers delivery options to provide more flexibility for residential recipients. The logo of FedEx Home delivery includes a drawing of a dog carrying a package. The FedEx Home Delivery only operates in the United States. In some countries like Canada, FedEx Ground performs business deliveries and residential deliveries.
- FedEx SmartPost: Handles the collection of parcels from merchants such as e-commerce and catalogue companies and then uses the United States Postal Service for the final delivery. This operation was formerly the independent company Parcel Direct until FedEx acquired it for $120 million in 2004
- FedEx Logistics (Orange “Ex”, formerly Platinum): This used to be known as FedEx Trade Networks until 2019. FedEx Logistics majorly provides supply chain solutions, customs brokerage, cross border e-commerce technology services, speciality transportation, and trade management tools and data.
- FedEx Air & Ocean Cargo Networks: Handles International air and ocean freight forwarding.
- FedEx Cross Border: This operation provides cross border solutions and enablement technologies that help retailers and e-tailers reach international e-commerce consumers. Its other duties include HS classification, duty and tax calculations, shopping cart management, export compliance management, currency conversions and protection against credit card fraud.
- FedEx Custom Critical: Specialized in delivering urgent, valuable, or hazardous items using trucks and chartered aircraft. This includes items such as perishable food, medication, alcohol, livestock, hazardous waste, household goods and even money. Also here, drivers are independent contractors who own their vehicles.
- FedEx Customs Brokerage: This handles services related to customs and international trade compliance.
- FedEx Forward Depots: This handles issues such as critical inventory and service parts logistics, 3-D printing, TechConnect repair and refurbishment of business technology equipment and the FedEx Packaging Lab.
- FedEx Supply Chain: This handles issues such as transportation management, warehousing, and returns.
- FedEx Services (Orange “Ex”, formerly Platinum): FedEx Services provides global marketing, planning, and information technology (IT) services for the other FedEx operating companies.
- FedEx Customer Relations Provides customer service toll-free telephone line for customer enquiries and questions. The FedEx Customer Relations is handled by an automated operator. This prompts the user to a live agent for issues such as tracking, claims, scheduling pick-ups for all FedEx operations; Custom Critical, Express, Ground, Freight LTL, Same Day and Freight Express, locations of deliveries (both staffed counter locations and drop-boxes), where to order supplies, how to set up FedEx accounts, billing etc.
FedEx currently operates in cities and markets with its international and intercontinental express services. FedEx Express operates in Europe, Middle East, Indian Subcontinent and Africa (EMEA). Apparently, for all forms of services, whether express or less urgent, import or export, small packages or heavyweight, import or export, FedEx provides the service you need.
FedEx boasts of a network that reaches more than 220 countries and territories linking more than 99 per cent of the world’s GDP. They also provide a diverse portfolio of transportation, e-commerce, and business solutions.
FedEx Offices in Abuja: Addresses & Contact Details
FedEx Offices in Abuja, Nigeria are:
FedEx RED STAR EXPRESS
Plot 787A, Malunfashi Close, Emeka Anyaoku Street, Area 11, Garki, Abuja, Nigeria
74, Sultan Abubakar Way
Zone 3 Express Centre
Abuja, Federal Capital Territory
Area: Wuse, Zone 3 Building Name: Tetrazzini Building