|Intro||Nigerian medical doctor|
|Birth||11 May 1955, Okrika|
Ngeri Benebo, MFR (born 11 May 1955) is a Nigerian medical doctor and public health specialist. She was, until 2015, Director General and Chief Executive Officer of the National Environmental Standards and Regulations Enforcement Agency (NESREA). Her appointment was approved by the Government of Nigeria in December 2006.
Early life and education
Born in Okrika, a port town of Rivers State, Nigeria, Benebo received her West African Senior School Certificate in 1971 after attending Methodist Girls High School Yaba. She proceeded to Federal School of Arts and Science for her “A” Levels obtaining the General Certificate of Education (GCE) in 1974. Between 1979 and 1986, she earned a Medical Doctor (MD) degree from University of Liberia’s A. M. Dogliotti College of Medicine and a master’s degree in public health from University of Lagos’s College of Medicine. In 1991, she was awarded a certificate in Training and Organization Skills for senior managers at the University of London.
Benebo is an alumnus of the National Postgraduate Medicine College of Public Health. She holds a certificate in Management from the Administrative Staff College of Nigeria (ASCON) Badagry. She also holds a diploma in Statistics and Epidemiology from the University of Brussels.
National Environmental Standards and Regulations Enforcement Agency
In 2006, she was appointed Director General and Chief Executive Officer of the National Environmental Standards and Regulations Enforcement Agency (NESREA). Prior to that, she served as Director of Pollution Control and Environmental Health at the Federal Ministry of Environment.
Achievements in office
- Initiation and actualization of West African Network on Environmental Compliance and Enforcement (WANECE).
- Establishment of the NESREA Green Corps.
- Revival of the National Toxic Waste Dump Watch Committee (NTWDWC).
- Introduction of 24 or 28 environmental regulations into the Gazette of the Government of Nigeria.
Benebo has won the following awards:
- National Productivity Merit Award (1991)
- Quality Management Standard Person of the Year (2010)
- Environmental Man of the Year
- Nigeria Advancement Awards (2013)