Quick Facts Of J. J. Barea
|Celebrated Name||J. J. Barea|
|Birth Name||Jose Juan Barea Mora|
|Place Of Birth||Mayaguez|
|Birth Nation||Puerto Rica|
|Brothers||Jamie J. Barea and Jason J. Barea|
|School||Miami Christian School|
|Wife||Viviana Ortiz (2016-Present)|
|Children||Paulina Barea Ortiz with her wife, Viviana Ortiz and Jose Barea Rivera with Zuleyka Rivera (ex)|
|Net Worth||$11 Million|
|Source of Wealth||Basketball Career|
|Height||1.78 m or 5 ft 10 in|
|Weight||82 Kg or 180 lbs|
Jose Juan Barea Mora famed as J. J. Barea is a Puerto Rican professional basketball player, who last played for the Dallas Mavericks of the National Basketball Association (NBA). He was waived by Dallas Mavericks on 10th December 2020. Initially, he played college basketball for Northeastern University before joining the Mavericks in 2006 and becoming only the seventh Puerto Rican to play in the NBA. What’s more, he has also played in the NBA Development League and the Baloncesto Superior Nacional. He was also a member of the Puerto Rican national team that won the gold medal in 2006 and 2010 Central American and Caribbean Games. Being a point guard for Puerto Rico, they won the gold medal in the 2011 Pan American Games as well as the Silver medal in the 2007 Pan American Games. On 30th May 2017, he was appointed the head coach of Indios de Mayaguez of the BSN.
J.J. Barea believes Luka Doncic has a lot more room to grow
Dallas Mavericks legend J.J. Barea has seen it all in the game of basketball. He has played 14 seasons in the NBA and is hoping for more. Barea was cut by the Mavs during training camp, but the veteran is hoping to latch on with another team this season. J.J. Barea believes Dallas Mavericks star Luka Doncic has not reached his peak. J.J. Redick brought up Luka and asked Barea about Doncic’s ceiling. He responses: “He’s still a kid. He’s still chilling. I think he’s still chilling and still growing. In a good way, he still hasn’t taken the next step. When he starts really training and really getting ready for the NBA, he is going to be a monster. Right now, he’s a kid. He still thinks he can pull it off like this, and he’s still getting better every year. When he becomes a man, he is going to be a problem.”
- Being a basketball player from Puerto Rica.
- For playing lastly with the Dallas Mavericks of the National Basketball Association (NBA).
What is the Birthplace of J. J. Barea?
On 26th June 1984, J. J. Barea was born in Mayaguez, Puerto Rico. His birth name/full name/real name is Jose Juan Barea Mora. He holds Puerto Rican nationality and his ethnic background is Puerto Rican-White. His race is White. As of 2020, he celebrated his 36th birthday. Cancer is his Zodiac sign and his religion is Christian. He was born to his parents; Jaime Barea (father) and Marta Barea (mother). By parents occupation, his father was an engineer and his mother was a retired professor as well as a volleyball and tennis coach. He also has two siblings; a brother named Jamie J. Barea and Jason J. Barea. He started playing basketball for Indios de Mayaguez of the Baloncesto Superior Nacional (BSN) in the year 2001.
Concerning his education, he attended Miami Christian School in the United States where he began playing basketball. He graduated from Northeastern University. As a senior in 2001-2002, he averaged 20 points, 6 rebounds, 8 assists, and 3 steals in helping his team to the state title and a 38-2 record. He made a name for himself nationally at the City of Palms event in December 2001 where he was the team’s leading scorer and showcased an accurate shot from three-point range. During his time in University, he would return to Puerto Rico to rejoin Indios de Mayaguez for the 2002 BSN season; there, he averaged 2.8 points in 14 games. During his 2002-2003 season, he played as a freshman and earned third-team All-America East Conference (AEC) and AEC All-Rookie team honors where he averaged a conference-leading 17 points to go along with 3 rebounds, 3.9 assists, and 1.9 steals in 28 contests. He earned First Team All-America East honors after finishing second in that conference for both scoring (20.7 ppg) and assists (5.8 APG) during his sophomore year in the 2003-2004 season. He ranked second in the America East and eighth in the country in scoring (22.2 ppg) during his junior year in 2004-2005.
How was the Professional Basketball Career of J. J. Barea?
- From the year 2006 until 2011, J. J. Barea was active for the Dallas Mavericks.
- He joined the Dallas Mavericks for the Rocky Mountain Revue wherein three games, he averaged 12.0 points, 1.7 rebounds, and 6.7 assists in 25.0 minutes per game.
- Later, he signed a multi-year deal with the Dallas Mavericks on 17th November 2006 and made his debut match against Houston Rockets.
- He averaged 27.3 points, 5.0 rebounds, 7.8 assists, and 1.3 steals in eight D-League games.
- He finished his rookie season with averages of 2.4 points, 0.5 rebounds, 0.8 assists, and 0.7 steals in 33 regular-season games.
- For the 2007 Las Begas Summer League, he re-joined Dallas where he averaged 16.0 points, 2.5 rebounds, and 7.0 assists in 27.6 minutes per game in five games.
- Against Sacramento Kings, he recorded a then career-high 25 points winning with the victory score of 123-2012 on 3rd November 2007.
- After then, he re-signed with the Dallas Mavericks to a three-year deal on 9th July 2009.
- He scored a then career-high 26 points during an 86-93 loss to the Houston Rockets on 20th February 2009.
- Over 78 games (with 18 starts), he averaged 7.6 points, 1.9 rebounds, and 3.3 assists in 19.8 minutes per game in the 2009-2010 season.
- The Mavericks exercised their $1.8 million 2010-11 team option on Barea’s contract in June 2010.
- He played a career-high 81 regular-season games while averaging 9.5 points, 2.0 rebounds, and 3.9 assists in 20.6 minutes per contest during his 2010-2011 season.
- On 1st January 2011, he scored a then career-high 29 points during an 87-99 loss to the Milwaukee Bucks.
- After failing negotiations to re-sign with the Mavericks, he left the team and then signed a four-year, $19 million contract with the Minnesota Timberwolves on 14th December 2011. He made his debut for the team against Oklahoma City Thunder recording 14 points, 2 assists, and 2 rebounds in a 100-104 loss.
- His 2012-2013 season began with 21 points and 5 assists against the Sacramento Kings on 2nd November 2012 finishing the season with averages of 11.3 points, 4.0 assists, and 2.8 rebounds in 23.1 minutes per game.
- Similarly, his 2013-2014 season ended averaging 8.4 points and 3.8 assists per game.
- Later, on 27th October 2014, he was waived by the Timberwolves. And then signed with the Dallas Mavericks on 29th October 2014.
- Against Jazz, he scored a season-high 22 points on 8-of-15 shooting in an 87-82 win.
- He then signed with the Mavericks to a four-year, $16 Million contract on 16th July 2015. He scored a career-high 32 points on 13-of-20 shooting during a 119-118 overtime win versus the Brooklyn Nets.
- He was appointed the head coach of Indios de Mayaguez of the BSN on 30th May 2017.
- He had a season-high 23 points during a 119-112 loss to the Jazz on 22nd March 2018. The game marked his 567th for the Mavericks and broke a tie with Mark Aguirre for the eighth-most in team history.
- On 11th January 2019, he suffered a torn right Achilles tendon in a contest against the Minnesota Timberwolves. He underwent surgery three days later.
- On 19th August 2019, he was re-signed by the Dallas Mavericks. He played in 29 games that season, averaging 15.5 minutes per game.
- He then re-signed for another year on 1st December 2020. Nine days later, he was waived by the team.
Awards and Achievements of J. J. Barea
- NBA champion (2011)
- J. Walter Kennedy Citizenship Award (2018)
- 2× Centrobasket MVP (2008, 2016)
- CAA Player of the Year (2006)
- First-team All-CAA (2006)
- 2× First-team All-AEC (2004, 2005)
- Third-team All-AEC (2003)
- AEC All-Rookie Team (2003)
Who is J. J. Barea Married to?
J. J. Barea is a married man. Barea dated actress and Miss Universe Puerto Rico 2011 Viviana Ortiz in the summer of 2013. The couple then confirmed that they were expecting their first kid in February 2016. Their daughter Paulina Barea Ortiz was born on 31st March 2016. Barea and Ortiz got married on 20th August 2016, in a lavish ceremony at the church of the Universidad del Sagrado Corazon in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Currently, the couple is enjoying their present life happily without any disturbances. His sexual orientation is straight and he is not gay.
Back then, in March 2011, he confirmed he was in a relationship with Miss Universe 2006 Zuleyka Rivera. In July 2011, the duo confirmed that they were expecting their first child. His girlfriend then gave birth to their son Sebastian Jose Barea Rivera on 17th February 2012. He was also present during the birth. The couple later split in April 2013.
How much is J. J. Barea’s Net Worth?
J. J. Barea is a professional basketball player whose net worth is estimated to have $11 Million. During his contract with the Mavericks, his annual average salary was $2,564,753. In the season 2019-2020, he made a base salary of $2,564,753, while carrying a cap hit of $1,620,564 and a dead cap value of $1,620,564. Until now, he has made around $41,800,103 as his NBA career earning actively playing 14 seasons. Back then, the Mavericks exercised their $1.8 million 2010-2011 team option on Barea’s contract in June 2010. On 14th December 2011, following the conclusion of the lockout, he signed a four-year, $19 million contract with the Minnesota Timberwolves. He then re-signed with the Mavericks to a four-year, $16 million contract on 16th July 2015. His major source of wealth comes from his basketball career and he is making good money from his career. He is living a luxurious lifestyle from his earnings.
How tall is J. J. Barea?
J. J. Barea is a very handsome man with a charming personality. His body build is athletic. He stands tall at the perfect height of 1.78 m or 5 ft 10 in and his balanced weight consists of 82 Kg or 180 lb. While listed as 6 ft 0 in (1.83 m) by the NBA, his mother believes his actual height is around 5 ft 10 in (1.78 m). In a 2016 Wall Street Journal story, he said that when announced as being 6 feet in pregame player introductions, he sometimes had to stop himself from giggling “because me and about 20,000 other people in the arena knew that was a lie.” His other body measurements such as chest size, waist size, and biceps size are still to get revealed yet. He maintains his body a lot.
Did You Know?
- Initially, he played college basketball for Northeastern University before joining the Mavericks in 2006 and becoming only the seventh Puerto Rican to play in the NBA.
- On 30th May 2017, he was appointed the head coach of Indios de Mayaguez of the BSN.
- He was born to his parents; Jaime Barea (father) and Marta Barea (mother).
- He stands tall at the perfect height of 1.78 m.
- On 11th January 2019, he suffered a torn right Achilles tendon in a contest against the Minnesota Timberwolves.